Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Enter the Void (2009)

Written and directed by Gaspar Noe







Oh dear. What on earth to say about this movie. I still feel exactly the way I did when the movie ended and I felt like saying something to the 3 people besides me in the audience but didn't. I had no idea what to say. I could've been crude and blurted "what the fuck?" but that would've been plain stupid, now wouldn't it. I mean, I understood the movie. It didn't overwhelm me story-wise. It overwhelmed me experience-wise. It was an acid trip of its own kind, unlike any I've seen done with this media.


Noe had captured well that one certain side of Tokyo and tokyo-ism: the inhuman acid neon raves in dirty clubs with emotionless sex between empty people. Everyone was presented so deeply inhuman. Everyone was a void. I actually kind of enjoyed that raw perspective since everything else is always softened with some kind of highly emotional imagery.


I also liked the way this movie pondered the thought that sex from a man's perspective is nothing but a craving back to your mother, she who will always be your madonna. Then your mother dies and you move your craving to your sister. Then your sister becomes your mother. And the cycle continues. Forever and ever.


But this movie is looong, almost three hours. It felt like too much. Maybe I'm just too used to typical blockbusters where you can hear the ending stomping and shouting from 45 minutes before the movie ends? In any case: no matter how interesting, it was exhausting to watch.





No comments:

Post a Comment