Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Kick-Ass (2010)

Directed by Matthew Vaughn / Written by Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn






On the way home after this movie I felt like a total super hero myself, being a tad more nimble than the character Kick-Ass. And that, I guess, is one of the things this movie was aiming to wake up in a viewer. I hate it when a promotion gone wrong ruins the market for a movie, and this is the case. Kick-Ass was marketed as one of those half-brained teen comedies that make fun of currently popular movies and subjects: Not Another Teen Movie, Disaster Movie, you know the likes. In reality Kick-Ass is way out of that league: It didn't really laugh about the super hero movies as much as I expected and actually embraces geeky lifestyle instead of mocking it. I daresay it's also probably made by the geeks for the geeks (I saw that Watchmen album! a-ha!). The other reason this movie stands out from the blockbuster crowd is its actual message, which is unlike any I've seen in movies in years ('just be yourself', 'love conquers all', 'let's protect the environment' etc): Don't close your eyes from the evil - do something about it. And this concerning us everyday joe's. Even though super heroes don't exist, the bad guys still do, and it's up to every one to do something about it. Especially those everyday bad guys. The violence in this movie was well-reasoned, and in a way I enjoyed its cruelty: Violence is not a joke and hurts people very easily very severely. I think it's good to amplify that message. I also actually found some grand beauty about a little girl slaying the entire evil on her own; It was like a triumph to the strength of a small individual. Which gets me to the actors: Hit Girl is my new idol. <3 The actress did a good job even though some of her lines didn't really fit her and seemed too written, but I'll excuse that. She's young, she'll learn. All of the other actors did a good job too, but I do have a complaint about that Kick-Ass-dudes girlfriend: I didn't buy that character. I'm all fine with pretty girls reading comics - I'm one too oh ho ho - but a comic geek girl who self-tans? No way. I'm not buying it until I see evidence of one existing. The music was totally groovy, made me wanna dance around the cinema. Gotta get this soundtrack yeah!





No comments:

Post a Comment